Check where these things are relevant to the home you’re looking at:
- groceries and markets
- postal offices
- street lights
- fire departments
- police stations
- gas stations
Other things that aren’t really necessary to look for:
- utility services
- places of worship (unless you’re religious)
- daycares (unless you have children and can’t find a babysitter)
- libraries (unless you’re a student)
- schools (unless you’re a student)
If you have a car:
- How much is parking?
- Where can I park?
If you want to take the train:
- How much are train tickets?
- Where can the trains take me?
If you want to take the bus:
- How much are bus rides?
- Where can the buses take me?
If you want to walk:
- Do the streets look safe enough to walk there during the day, in the afternoon, and at night?
If you want to invite guests over:
- Where can my guests park their cars?
- What modes of transportations can they take to get to your place?
Does the unit have a security alarm?
For the front door:
- Does the front door have a peep hole?
- Does the front door have a sliding lock in addition to a lock on the doorknob?
- Is there a spare key readily available at the office?
- What is the fee for replacing my key?
For fires and gases:
- Are there alarms? (Carbon monoxide, gas, and smoke?)
- Are there fire sprinklers?
- Are there any fire extinguishers?
- Where are the fire extinguishers located?
- Where are the fire exits?
Rooms In General
- Are there any cracks and holes?
- Can windows be opened?
- Is there a patio or balcony?
- Is there a sliding door?
- Am I allowed to decorate my unit? (With wallpaper and paint?)
- Does it come with a microwave, refrigerator, stove and oven, and dish washer?
- What kind of stove does the unit have? (Gas or electric?)
- Are the appliances updated?
Where can I pick up the mail?
- Where is the laundry room located?
- What is the average cost of laundry? (Washer and dryer?)
For the outdoor temperature:
- What is the climate like?
- What seasons are there in that area?
For the indoor temperature:
- Is there central AC/heating?
- Can the AC/heating be controlled?
- How do I request utility services?
- Is there a 24-hour call for utility services?
- What is the average cost for utilities? (Internet, cable, electricity, water, and gas?)
Who’s responsible for pest-control? (The landlord or the tenant?)
- Are there any unit inspections?
- How often are inspections made?
- How much in advance do I get a notice about inspections?
- What are the payment options?
- How much is the security deposit?
- How much is the screening fee?
- When are the payments due?
- What is the late fee?
- How much do damages cost?
- How many roommates maximum can the unit hold?
- Is there a deadline for move-ins or is it open year-round?
- If I don’t have a roommate in mind, can the office assign me to a random roommate or a roommate of my choice?
- What are the guest policies?
- Are quiet hours enforced?